Wednesday, June 30, 2010

This Grand Adventure We Call Life: Musings

When I was 26, I went through an inspirational quotation magnets phase. Did you know there was such a thing? I think it typically coincides with the “I’m 16 and nobody understands what I’m going through” phase. I’m probably a late bloomer.



They all feature a similar theme: Life’s a journey, not a destination.

I see them every day, and every day I feel like I forget.

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, ‘holy shit…what a ride!” – George Carlin

I get caught up in the:
        
When I move up the career ladder.
When I finish grad school.
When we buy a house.
When we have a baby.

Rather than the:

Today, the blooms on the hydrangea bush outside my office door were a deep, cobalt blue – a color I don’t think I have ever seen in nature before. Just stunning.

Every night, Scott sets the timer on the coffee pot so that when I wake up in the morning, I don’t have to worry about scooping and brewing. (I still haven’t learned how to use the timer.)

The movie I’ve been DYING to see just arrived from Netflix!

My new apartment has central air and is mere moments away from the train station -- on foot!

I’m trying to make this my mid-year’s resolution – to remember what I have instead of dwelling on what I want/will have/feel is missing. It’s difficult sometimes when I’m stressed, or tired, or my hair Just Won’t Cooperate, but I’m making an effort.

1 comment: