Friday, July 16, 2010

These are My Obsessions

What I’m Watching
Is it healthy to love a T.V. show so much that you actually feel a skipped-heartbeat of sadness when the next disc doesn’t arrive on time from Netflix? That’s how I feel about The Wire. Yes, yes, yes, I know it’s a program that ended way back in 2008, but we the HBO-less (and now cable-less) only recently discovered it.

The Wire is Awesome.

Gritty and character driven, it depicts the seedy underbelly of society – and I’m not just talking drug dealers and criminals here; the politicians, union bosses, and police officers are all equally despicable. In fact, at times I have more respect for the program's criminal element because at least they're honest with the fact that, hey, they're criminals, doing illegal things and being generally terrible. It doesn't really feel like a "cop show," which is good because I don't tend to be the "cop show" type. For me, The Wire is more about flawed humanity/communities/systems than anything else. We’re just a couple of episodes into season two right now, so we’ll see if it continues to Totally Rock.

***

What I’m Reading

Here’s a note to fellow commuters: crying on the train has its benefits. Example: The business-suited, bespectacled investment-banker type with pungent coffee breath and no concept of personal space is likely to change seats once he sees your flushed complexion, dripping nose (whoops, forgot the travel-pack tissues again), and running mascara. If you’re averse to crying in public, I suggest you save “What is the What” by Dave Eggers for private at-home reading time. It is honest, touching, inspiring, and life-affirming, underscored by deep strains of melancholy. A must-read.

***

What I’m Eating

ZOMG – yes, this food item totally calls for an abbreviation I have never before used in life – Emerald Cocoa Roast Almonds in Dark Chocolate flavor are my new favorite snack. Try them, and they’ll be yours too (unless you're allergic to almonds, in which case I suggest you try a nice apple or maybe some string cheese). I like them around 2:30 in the afternoon, when my sugar craving really kicks in. They’re chocolate-y without the added sugar of a candy bar. And they have all those wonderful superfood health benefits. Almonds are still a superfood, right? Or is it blueberries this year? Or pomegranates? Anyway, someone suggested I try to make my own (these are on the pricier side, between $3.75 and $5 a package, depending on where you shop), but I think I'll make do with the pre-packaged kind for the time being. If you're looking for a recipe, I found one here.

No comments:

Post a Comment